Essential Resources for Families Impacted by COVID-19
Updated: 4 days ago
During these uncertain times, many Mission families have been devastatingly impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. As a city that comes together in trying times, New York has a number of resources available to provide access to food and other necessities as families attempt to weather this crisis.
Here at Mission, we want to be sure our communities are aware of and have access to these resources. We have compiled a list below for each of the boroughs we serve, and will continue to update it as we learn more.
- While schools are closed, all families can visit their nearest NYC DOE school to pick up a grab-and-go breakfast starting at 7:30 AM and lunch starting at 11:30 AM. You don’t have to visit the school you attend – you can go to the nearest school to your location for meals. Families can find their nearest school by visiting https://www.nycenet.edu/schoolsearch or calling 311.
- The Food Bank of New York City continues to provide access to emergency food at soup kitchens and food pantries. Visit www.foodbanknyc.org for more information or call 212-556-7855.
- BRONX - World Central Kitchen has partnered with Bronx Assembly Member Michael Blake of the 79th District to distribute thousands of fresh, individually packaged grab-and-go meals to local families.
For a comprehensive list of pick-up locations, please visit https://wck.org/news/thebronx or call the Office of the Assembly Member at 718-538-3829.
- BRONX - Acri Café (1315 Commerce Avenue): Acri Cafe is committed to serving at least 1,000 kids a day for breakfast and lunch. For more information, please call (212) 924-2424.
- BRONX - Mamajuana Café (3233 East Tremont Avenue): Between the hours of 11 AM - 1 PM and 4 - 8 PM, Mamajuana Cafe will be handing out lunch bags with a sandwich and snack to children in their community. For more information, please call (718) 824-8400.
- MANHATTAN - Philippe by Philippe Chow (33 E 60th St): Until the end of March, Philippe by Philippe Chow will offer a complimentary lunch from our Kids Menu for children up to age 14 between the hours of 1- 2 PM. Children must be accompanied by an adult.
- MANHATTAN - Evelyn’s Kitchen (2317 1st Avenue): Evelyn’s Kitchen will be providing free healthy meals to kids. For more information, please call (646) 476-7906.
- MANHATTAN - DeRossi Restaurant Empire will be distributing free vegan lunches between 12 - 2PM at the following locations:
Honeybee’s & Mother of Pearl - 95 Avenue A, New York NY
Avant Garden - 130 E 7th Street, New York NY
Ladybird & Night Music - 111 E 7th Street, New York, NY
- MANHATTAN - Red Rabbit has partnered with West Harlem Group on 142nd and Lenox Avenue, where they will be distributing food from 9:30AM-2PM daily.
INTERNET / PHONE / UTILITIES
- With many students now required to take online classes, Spectrum is offering free services. Please call 1-844-488-8398 to learn more.
- The Federal Communications Commission announced a pledge with over 80 communications companies, including T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon, and Comcast to expand hotspot data and provide unlimited data to customers. They will also waive late fees and not terminate service for inability to pay. Please call your provider to confirm for your account.
- Major utilities have agreed to suspend shut-off for power, heat, and water if a person cannot pay their bill as a result of COVID-19’s impact.
We hope you are all staying safe and healthy.